As with so many old English pubs the Rose and Crown has an interesting history.
It is believed to have been built as an ale house in 1810 by Edward Knight, the brother of the celebrated novelist Jane Austen.
Edward was Jane’s third eldest brother and as a boy was adopted by the Knight family who were wealthy relatives of the Austens. Jane Austen lived with her mother and sister in the nearby village of Chawton, just over a 2 mile walk away where the house is now a museum.
The Naturalist Gilbert White (1720-1793) was the curate of All Saints Church in Upper Farringdon and his pulpit still survives as does one of the parish registers containing his handwriting. Gilbert lived 3 miles away in Selborne where his house is now also a museum.
A building of interest in the village is Massey’s Folly. Imposing and eccentric it was built by another curate of Farringdon, Reverend T. H. Massey virtually single-handedly and took around 30 years to construct. It was featured in the BBC programme Restoration Village in 2006.